Compatibility with Kinect2 and OpenNI2

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
jppb

Compatibility with Kinect2 and OpenNI2

Post by jppb »

Hi all,
I have been attempting to get started with a new Kinect2 and have had a few difficulties, so before I continue to far I was wondering if you could tell me if the VREP to Kinect pipeline is compatible with the new Kinect.
Furthermore, should I be using openNI 2 or 1? It seems like the VREP interface was designed with openNI 1 in mind, but I would assume openNI2 is optimized and more compatible with the Kinect 2.
Any thoughts or walk-throughs on how to set up a Kinect 2 with VREP would be appreciated.
jppb

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Compatibility with Kinect2 and OpenNI2

Post by coppelia »

Hello jppb,

if you want to integrate the Kinect 1 or 2, you have several possibilities:
  • you can write a client (or server) application that will read the Kinect data, and send that data to V-REP via socket communication (this was done in the initial Kinect interface on Windows), or via the remote API.
  • you can also write a V-REP plugin that will do the link to the Kinect library. This is actually the more elegant method.
What platform are you working on? The initial Kinect 1 interface is only available in Windows, and the server application is located in programming/windowsOnlyProjects/kinectServer

Cheers

jppb

Post by jppb »

I am working on windows. I suppose more specifically I would ask could the Kinect 1 interface that already exists be easily used to communicate with the Kinect 2?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

I won't be able to help you out for that, we have no experience with the Kinect 2 interface.

Cheers