Hierarchy and script

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Elez

Hierarchy and script

Post by Elez »

Hello,

I've done a model of my quadruped robot and I've done the hierarchy but I don't know how to join all parts in only one (just as in the hexapod) and I also want to create an script to try to control it but I don't know how. Here's a pic to show my model:

Thanks.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Hierarchy and script

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

You will have to follow at least these points:
  • Make sure that all objects that are part of the same model share a common ancestor (i.e. model base) in the scene hierarchy (i.e. parent/grand-parent/grand-grand-parent/etc.)
  • All objects (except for the model base) should be flagged as Select base of model instead in the object common properties.
  • The model base should be flagged as Object is model base and Object/model can transfer DNA (also in the object common properties).
Make sure to read this page too.

Cheers

Elez

Post by Elez »

Hi,

I've done the second point as all my objects are now flagged as Select base of model instead. As for the first and third points I understand what I need to do but I don't know how to do it. How can I create the "Model base"?
I've also read the page you recommended, but it doesn't tell how to create the model base, as it gives you instruccions once you have the model base.
In order to trying doing it I created a cuboid invisible shape and make it parent of all the objects (maintaining the hierarchy). Then I flagged it as recommended. I'm on the right way? In that case, how can I create an script to control it?

Thank you.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

The first point I mention is simply that one single object should be at the base of the model tree in the scene hierarchy.

You have 4 joints, that should be attached to a body object (probably object Cuerpo). Simply select those 4 joints, then ctrl-select object Cuerpo and click [Menu bar --> Edit --> Make last selected object parent]. Then, for object Cuerpo, do point 3.

Cheers

Elez

Post by Elez »

Ok, I think I got it. My last question is: how can i make a dummy invisible?
Thanks so much.

Eric

Post by Eric »

hi

as for any object, to make it invisible:
double click on the object in the scene hierarchy->select tab "common"-> deselect the visibility layer or select a visibility layer that is not currently displayed when you click the button "layers"
cheers

Eric