How do I import an object that behaves

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
kleinash

How do I import an object that behaves

Post by kleinash »

Hi,

I find an object online (thingyverse) I then make it .obj in meshlab, save it, and import it into V-REP.

1. The object falls through the floor unless it's static. I need it to fall, but I need the floor to stop it (or a counter I have placed under it)

2. There is a discrepancy between the scale in V-REP and the scale in meshlab. When I import into V-REP which option do I select to make sure that the scale is the same? How do I make sure that the scale remains the same if I export from V-REP into meshlab?

Thank you.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: How do I import an object that behaves

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

you need to make your shape respondable. You can do this in the shape dynamic properties. Make sure also to carefully read this page.

Then, most mesh fileformats do not store any unit information, or the type of reference system used. So you will have to try.
That's why you have a dialog poping open after the import operation. If you know that Meshlab uses a unit of 1mm, then you will have to select that in the dialog. Not sure about the Meshlab units though. The same happens with the coordinates: I believe that in Meshlab, the Y axis looks up (toward the sky), but in V-REP the Z axis points up.

Cheers

SagiCZ

Post by SagiCZ »

Make sure you understand what is the difference between Respondable and Collidable.

kleinash

Post by kleinash »

Thank you..

Do you perhaps have a db of objects that do perform well (besides primitives)

--

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

You can transform almost every mesh into a convex decomposed shape, that performs quite well during dynamic simulation.
Check the function: [Menu bar --> Morph selection into convex shapes...]

Cheers