Keep a joints position fixed

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
geerten

Keep a joints position fixed

Post by geerten »

I was wondering if it is possible to keep the position of a joint fixed.

If I have a revolute joint simulating an axis, in real life this is also fixated (and only able to rotate around the joint itself). However, in V-REP when enough force is applied, the blue part of the joint will move from its original position.

Is it possible to keep the joint fixated at one position and really only allow movement along the DOF of the joint itself?

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Keep a joints position fixed

Post by coppelia »

Hi Geerten,

What you are describing happens when your dynamic simulation set-up is badly designed. Physics engines like Bullet or ODE work with constraints to model joints, and if applied forces are too large (relatively), the constraints can break apart. Try to adjust the masses and inertias for the bodies on one side and the other of the joint. And always follow the design considerations related to dynamics.

Cheers

tdewolf

Post by tdewolf »

I'm also running into this problem, I've followed the instructions for making dynamic joints, but I'm trying to model an actual robot and I have the weights. Is there no way to force a joint to stay aligned with its axis when there's a lot of torque placed on it? I can make things lighter but it makes the simulation less useful.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Depending on the used physics engine, you often don't have the choice except to adjust or balance out the masses and inertias. But you will notice that with Vortex and Newton, those requirements can largely be loosen, and realistic masses/inertias be used.

Cheers

tdewolf

Post by tdewolf »

Interesting! Could I hear more about what requirements should be loosened, or a link to a page talking about it?
Thanks!

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

This page gives a good overview. Mainly the design considerations 7 and 8.

Cheers

tdewolf

Post by tdewolf »

Thanks!