What does the number in embScript_<NUMBER>.lua mean?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
tor

What does the number in embScript_<NUMBER>.lua mean?

Post by tor »

Hi Folks:

When we open an embedded script using an _external_ editor, then we get this pattern of files: embScript_<NUMBER>.lua,
which are stored under the vrep's root directory.

My questions are:
1) What does the number in embScript_<NUMBER>.lua come from? and mean?
2) Is it safe to delete those embScript_<NUMBER>.lua files, which are under the vrep's root directory?
3) Where can we set the directory for those (temporary?) embScript_<NUMBER>.lua files?

Thank you.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: What does the number in embScript_<NUMBER>.lua mean?

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

about your questions:

1) the number is generated and handled by V-REP, in order to keep track of external files and embedded script correspondencies. The files are only used when a scene is in memory. As soon as you close the scene, all corresponding external script files will be erased. Sometimes this is not the case (e.g. in case of a crash for example).

2) It is safe to remove those files if V-REP is not running. But normally they should be removed automatically (except in case of a crash)

3) you can do this in the configuration file system/usrset.txt. You need to change entry defaultDirectoryForExternalScriptEditor.

If you are using an external script editor such as notepad++, you could use the code completion files prepared in v-rep_notepas++.zip.

Cheers

tor

Re: What does the number in embScript_<NUMBER>.lua mean?

Post by tor »

I do appreciate your thorough explanation.
Thank you.