SDF Import Plugin

Requests or suggestions for new features
mgdbgj

SDF Import Plugin

Post by mgdbgj »

Since Gazebo is "abandoning" URDF in favor of SDF, ROS is likely to eventually follow suit. I think a SDF Import Plugin or at least SDF to URDF translator, would benefit the community.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: SDF Import Plugin

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

yes, perfectly agree. This should be done for release 3.3.2 hopefully. Beta version of release 3.3.1 should be out in 2-4 days.

Cheers

mgdbgj

Post by mgdbgj »

It's not clear how SDF importer handles imports and it is not clear how to monitor its progress or check for the errors, for example, when I imported the model that works in Gazebo 7:

- Even though the Convex decompose option was checked in the importer, neither of the collision links was morphed into a convex shape. At no point, convex decomposition dialog was shown.

- The inertial information does not seem to be imported and none the collision links are marked as respondable .

Is there a log I'm missing? Or is there documentation that states which SDF tags are being imported?

Thanks.

fferri

Post by fferri »

You can see a sort of log of import operations by recompiling the plugin with debug information (i.e. qmake v_repExtSDF.pro followed by make debug).

The convex decomposition dialog option is not currently used.

The inertial information is actually imported (check v_repExtSDF.cpp line 758).