Connect V-Rep to multiple ROS instances

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
bgernert

Connect V-Rep to multiple ROS instances

Post by bgernert »

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to connect V-Rep with multiple ROS instances.
For example I am using the BubbleRob from the tutorial. Now, instead of calculating the movement of the BubbleRob within V-Rep, I would like to use ROS.
I am able to connect V-Rep with a local installation of ROS. Therefore I am also able to control one BubbleRob with ROS.
Now, I would like to run ROS within a VM or on an external computer and I would like to simulate a second BubbleRob with the help of a second ROS-VM.

Is it possible to connect V-Rep to multiple roscores on multiple VMs? If so, how can I achieve this?

Thanks for your help!

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Connect V-Rep to multiple ROS instances

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

You can connect as many ROS nodes to V-REP as you wish. V-REP is also just a simple ROS node, nothing else.

Your question is more specific to ROS, and you should see in their ressources how to make several ROSCores aware of each other in order to connect all of them together.

I guess you are aware of rosBubbleRob, which is the ROS-version controller of BubbleRob (rosBubbleRob can be found in programming/ros_stacks/rosBubbleRob.

Cheers

bgernert

Re: Connect V-Rep to multiple ROS instances

Post by bgernert »

Thank you for your help!

I was able to solve my problem.