vrep 3.4 crash when using python api

Report crashes, strange behaviour, or apparent bugs
JJEHL

vrep 3.4 crash when using python api

Post by JJEHL »

Hi,
I'm Using python 2.7 and the remote api 32 bits on windows.
Everything was nice with 3.3.2 but with 3.4 Vrep is crashing a small time after startup.
Anyway I have just enough time to check that vrep.simxStart() is working. On the other hand, vrep.simxLoadScene return an error code (64).

The beginning of simple test is working but curiosly the server is not listening on 19999 like it is written in the file but on 19997.

Maybe you are aware that there is a problem with 3.4 ? or I'm the only one to notice that ?

JJEHL

Re: vrep 3.4 crash when using python api

Post by JJEHL »

Sorry, you can forget my message. It was just a bad vrep install. Because the previous version had not been totally uninstalled.

Everything works like a charm, now.

EDIT :
And finally, no. Vrep 3.4 is unstable on my windows computer. I can't explain why but it regularly crash (about 30s after start-up and even when doing nothing with it). At the moment, I re-installed 3.3.2 to work...

Julien
CEO of Roboticia.com

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

does it crash by just starting V-REP and waiting? Or is there something happening with the remote API? What Windows version are you running?
It happens on rare occasions that V-REP crashes. But we haven't had/heard about such a situation like you describe it with V-REP 3.4.0 on Windows.

Cheers

JJEHL

Post by JJEHL »

Crashing when doing noting but after a long time.
Crashing after playing with a robot and not using remote api (ABB140 for example) after about 30 to 60 s.
Crashing immediately on simxloadscene from python.

I'm using Windows 10. I will test on another computer.

What is strange is that 3.3.2 is working correctly.

Am I right to think that 3.3.2 is 32bit and 3.4.0 is 64bit.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

yes, that is correct. Since V3.4.0, the windows version is 64bit.

What happens if you remove all plugins before starting V-REP (i.e. temporarily move files 'v_repExt*.dll' to a different folder).
Also, try to enable debugging information and see at what point it crashes. For that, move to [Menu bar --> Help --> Debug]. Beware that things will get quite slow.
Try also to check if (when not in debug mode) some unusual info is printed to the console. You can enabled the console via the user settings (uncheck hide console window)

Cheers

JJEHL

Post by JJEHL »

For now I didn't check the debbug message, but I tried on others computers and it is the same. Vrep 3.4 is crashing on windows 10. As soon as I find some time I'll apply your test.

JJEHL

Post by JJEHL »

Another confirmation that 3.4 in unstable on windows : Some poppy users (where vrep is very popular) experiment the crash of vrep after one or two minutes of running : https://forum.poppy-project.org/t/insta ... ur/1841/22

As soon I have time I deep in the debug.

Cheers.

Manon

Post by Manon »

Hi,

I just installed vrep on my windows 10 64 bits, and so far, I found:

- to avoid the crash after 1 minute, go to the user settings at the bottom of the left bar and disable auto-save. You get an 'unknown exception', but afterwise, everything runs ok (as far as I know)

- to use the Python API, use the remoteApi.dll from the 32 bits folder (I barely tested it, but I got a connection that I could not get with the 64bits version)

Hope these bugs get solved quickly !

Manon