Kinect Intergration

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Starzz

Kinect Intergration

Post by Starzz »

Hi,

I'm quite new to VREP and am currently doing a project with it. I am trying to get Kinect to work with it, currently I have installed all the required packages it told me too and am running openNI2 but when I run the kinectserver.exe and I presented with the error 'Entry Point Not Found', the error seems to be caused by the glut32.dll extension. I have tried using older versions of openNI but I have had no luck as of yet. I am running the latest version of everything and have all Kinect drivers installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Tom

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Kinect Intergration

Post by coppelia »

Hello Tom,

the best would probably to rewrite the whole thing, since that example is outdated and not maintained anymore by the original author. Sorry about the trouble.

Cheers

Starzz

Post by Starzz »

Thank for your reply and suggestion. I will attempt to rewrite it whether or not I succeed is another question, any advice for doing so?

Regards,
Tom

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Well,

we didn't write the last code, but I would wrap the Kinect code inside of a plugin, and have a couple of customized script functions allowing to communicate with that plugin (e.g. read out kinect data, etc.).
The demo plugin programming/v_repExtPluginSkeleton would be a good source of inspiration for that.

Cheers

Starzz

Post by Starzz »

Thank you for replying. I rewrote the script and updated everything to the lastest NiTE2 and OpenNI2 drivers, and it works perfectly using your method. I was just wondering if you had any advice for intergrating it with Baxter, I've had a little look but it seems to be quite challenging?

Regards,
Tom

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Well done!

What do you mean with integration with Baxter? Have Baxter follow the movement of your Kinect skeleton?

Cheers

Starzz

Post by Starzz »

Thank you!

Yes that's what I mean, I would like to be able to control its arms with my own, just like the astikinect example.

Regards,
Tom

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

This is not trivial, since you will need some kind of IK to have the arms follow the skeleton. A simple IK element for each arm would not be sufficient, since you not only want the hands to follow the skeleton extremities, but also the elbows should follow the skeleton elbows.I would use 2 damped IK elements for each arm.
Finally, each joint in the arm needs to be in hybrid IK mode, so that the calculated joint values are applied as target joint positions.

Cheers