Communication with N Pioneer

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
crisannik

Communication with N Pioneer

Post by crisannik » 09 Jan 2019, 18:48

Hi guys, I want to realize a project where there are N pioneer (e.g. two or three) in a room. Every pioneer, when to see other pioneers, must to send a message to visible pioneer. How can I resolve this problem? Does it exist one way or one instrument to solve this problem? Thanks

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Communication with N Pioneer

Post by coppelia » 11 Jan 2019, 09:43

Hello,

you will have to add a proximity sensor or a vision sensor to the Pioneer, so that it can detect the others. Set that proximity sensor in explicit handling mode. Then, on a regular basis call sim.handleProximitySensor. The forth returned argument is the handle of the detected object. Follow that object's parent (sim.getObjectParent) , until it doesn't have any parent anymore. Then you can either check its name (sim.getObjectName), or better, check whether it contains a tag that you have added previously (sim.writeCustomDataBlock and sim.readCustomDataBlock). Then you can inform that pioneer about something using sim.WriteCustomDataBlock or by calling one of its functions (sim.callScriptFunction).

Cheers

crisannik

Post by crisannik » 13 Jan 2019, 16:16

I have only a question. Can I use a Lidar sensor as proximity sensor?? I ask these question because it is the first time that I study the robotic discipline

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia » 16 Jan 2019, 08:33

Yes of course, you can. But this is more complicated, since the lidar models dor not return the handle of the detected objects.

Cheers