Max number of items in a scene and performance.

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
martin

Max number of items in a scene and performance.

Post by martin »

Hello Coppelia,

I am planning to build a complex environment in VREP with several objects in the scene, for simulate robotic navigation and colaborative robotics in an heterogeneous environment.

Apart from my personalizes robots which are going to be controlled by myself by an external API, I have planned that the objects in the scene will be pure shapes whith textures (for visual recognition) and with their own behavior controlled by child scripts.

I would like to know how many objects could be placed in the scene without doing it unoperable. I know that this question is very generic, but I would like to get a broad point of view for to know if this idea is feasible or not, because, until nowadays, I have only worked in environments with little elements in it.

Suggestions would be very appreciated too

Regards!

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Max number of items in a scene and performance.

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

the response to your question depends on many factors, e.g. how complex the objects are (i.e. how many triangular faces), whether they are dynamically simulated or not, whether they are involved in some other kind of computations (e.g. minimum distance calculations, etc.), how many scripts are being executed, what kind of simulation speed you expect, and how reactive a scene has to be to user input/interaction.

You can try to create a cube (or an other shape, dynamic or not) and copy-paste it as much as required.

The question is also if the number of objects is dynamically changing during simulation. In that case, with 2000 objects in the scene, copy-paste or object creation gets slower.

You have many ways to accelerate a simulation, for instance:
  • reduce the number of displayed frames
  • reduce the frequency at which sensors are being handled (i.e. do explicit handling of your sensors)
  • same as above for other calculation modules such as collision detection, etc.
  • reduce the fidelity of dynamics (e.g. by reducing the number of iterations)
  • hiding objects that do not need to be visible
  • reducing the complexity of shapes (e.g. mesh decimation)
  • etc.
Cheers