Correct way to attach feltPen

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
CroCr

Correct way to attach feltPen

Post by CroCr »

I would appreciate it if you could explain what I need to do and suggest how to do it correctly. My goal is to attach a pen or sort of pen to the gripper of the Kuka youBot in order to draw, get force feedback from the contact info function so the user can draw and feel the forces via the haptic device I'm using. I found the feltPen model. What is the correct way to attach it? Something like this

I've tried to use a force sensor to attach the pen; however, the feltPen penetrates the wall but not the gripper. Collision is not working with the pen.
Last edited by CroCr on 03 Jan 2024, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Correct way to attach feltPen

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

the felt pen model is by default static and non-respondable. You need to change that (in the model dialog) before attaching it via a force sensor to the gripper.

Cheers

CroCr

Post by CroCr »

coppelia wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 06:50 Hello,

the felt pen model is by default static and non-respondable. You need to change that (in the model dialog) before attaching it via a force sensor to the gripper.

Cheers
Thank for the answer. I did it however, I get this message
Detected dynamically enabled, non-convex shapes. Those might drastically slow down simulation, and introduce unstable behaviour.
Apparently, the felt pen is not designed for this purpose. Furthermore, even though I attach the pen to the gripper using a force sensor, it breaks whenever it hits the wall. Any suggestions?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

What happens if you use a different physics engine, e.g. Newton?
A force/torque sensor is not a rigid connection (except with the MuJoCo engine): it is merely a 6DoF constraint between 2 bodies. You can somehow mitigate this by increasing the mass/inertia of the pen.

Best would be to group the pen with the gripper object via [Menu bar > Edit > Shape grouping / merging > group]

Cheers