Reset back to default view

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Platicopter

Reset back to default view

Post by Platicopter »

I frequently find that when rotating my view, I'm often sent off somewhere into blank space, with no way of getting back to the part of my scene with objects and the floor in it. Is there a way to reset the default camera view back to its original location? I can't seem to find a menu item or shortcut for it, and the undo won't undo pan/rotate commands

Thanks!

Platicopter

Re: Reset back to default view

Post by Platicopter »

Figured out one way to do it, click on DefaultCamera in the scene heirarchy and then use the shift and rotate tools until it is back to somewhat normal. It still would be nice if there was a keyboard shortcut to do this.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

try with the Fit to view toolbar button, that's the 5th button on the horizontal toolbar. The view that has the focus will be adjusted to the scene content, or to the selected visible objects.

Cheers

Platicopter

Post by Platicopter »

Awesome, that worked!

nex

Post by nex »

Is there something to also reset the rotation, orientation and position of the camera?
Fit to view is bringing the object back into view, but the view is still different.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

You will have to code that inside of a customization script for instance, or even better, inside of an add-on script.

Cheers

nex

Post by nex »

Thanks, but I thought of something general integrated into the GUI, so that cameras can be set back to earlier positions, after you got "lost". I think it would be quite useful in general.
Something like: Reset Camera pose to last saved pose

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

I agree. But I disagree that this requires adding another toolbar button. This is what add-ons are made for. Try [Menu bar --> Add-ons --> AddOnScriptDemo]: this is adds a dialog with start/pause/stop simulation buttons. You can implement your camera memorize/reset buttons in a similar way.

Cheers