Change the order of the objects

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
smartxo

Change the order of the objects

Post by smartxo »

Hi!

When I place some objects in the scene, they have different orders. One is overlapped by another one. Can I change the order of the objects in the scene?

Thank you for your help!

Regards,
Louis

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Change the order of the objects

Post by coppelia »

Hello Louis,

do you mean (for instance), if you place two identical objects at the exact same position and orientation into the scene?
In that case, one object will not be visible. You cannot directly specify which one will be rendered before the other one, unless at least one of the two shapes has some transparent component.

What do you want to do exactly?

Cheers

smartxo

Post by smartxo »

Hi!

Let's take one example scene "KatanaRobotWithCableSimulation.ttt". The robot is in front of one of the conveyor belts. However, when I change the position of the robot (e.g. move along the y-axis +0.2), only the joint 3 of robot is overlapped by conveyor belt. The another joints are displayed in front of robot. For this case, is it possible to fix it?

Thank you!

Regards,
Louis

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

I am not sure I understand what you mean. When the joints are visible (they are hidden by default), and the robot is in its original position, both joint ends are visible, which is normal. If you shift the robot towards the absolute Y axis by 0.2 meters, then only one end of the joint stays visible, the other end is inside of the conveyor belt. This is a normal behaviour.

Is there maybe a problem with your graphic card? Or do you want to see the entire joint whatever objects you put in front of it? This is unfortunately not possible.

But if you explain us why you need/want that behaviour, we can maybe find a workaround.

Cheers

smartxo

Post by smartxo »

Please find the image as below. A part of the joint 3 of robot is overlapped by convey belt when I move the robot along Y-axis +0.2 . This is what I want to say. In fact, they are 2 different objects. Now, it looks like they combine together. Is there any way to correct it?

Regards,
Louis
Last edited by smartxo on 20 Jan 2015, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

you cannot change this. This is how openGl is operating (and most other 3D representation frameworks): the two models overlap.

Cheers