Extract a hollow cylinder to simulate a bucket.

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
arp

Extract a hollow cylinder to simulate a bucket.

Post by arp »

Hi,

How do I extract the shape of a bucket in the shape edit mode? Is it possible with bullet/ode? Or would it only be possible with Vortex??

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Extract a hollow cylinder to simulate a bucket.

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

if you want to extract pure shapes, then you can only extract primitive shapes such as cuboids, spheres or cylinders.

Have a look how the example models Models/household/cup.ttm or Models/household/largeBasket.ttm are constructed: you will have to individually extract the bucket walls as cuboids, and the bucket base as a cylinder. The best however is for the walls to extract one segment as a cuboid, then copy-paste it and rotate the copy around.

You can also use the bucket as a respondable mesh (which is most of the time not recomended, dure to stability or speed issues).

Cheers

arp

Post by arp »

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Just one more question regarding pure shape extraction.

What is meant by negative volumes ?? I find this option while extracting cylinders. Why does extracting such a volume give a warning that it would only work Vortex Simulation Engine?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Only the Vortex engine supports negative volumes. A negative volume is an empty space within a regular primitive volume (e.g. a tube, a cylinder with a hollow central part).

Cheers