Dimensions, Sizes and Inertias of Pioneer3dx robot

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Xnomai

Dimensions, Sizes and Inertias of Pioneer3dx robot

Post by Xnomai »

Hello

I am a newbie with V-rep, I need to know how to extract sizes (dimensions) and inertia of Pioneer3dx from Vrep in order for me to design a advanced controller based on the robot kinematics parameters. Or if the dimensions are the same as the real Pioneer3dx I need some help referring to witch parameters.

Thank you

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Dimensions, Sizes and Inertias of Pioneer3dx robot

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

to compare dimensions... maybe the best is simply to export the robot shapes to a mesh format, then examine that mesh in an external application. In V-REP you have little ways of measuring a mesh/shape. You can check the dimensions of a shape's bounding box in this dialog.
You can also examine the inertia and mass properties of a shape in this dialog.

Cheers

Eric

Post by Eric »

Hi

The dimensions are correct, but the inertial matrices were design to leave a stable simulation and have NOT been identified from the real robot.

Cheer
Eric

Xnomai

Post by Xnomai »

Hello Eric

Thank you for the reply. In this case, where inertias are not the same as the real robot, I think while designing a "dynamic controller" using your model, I must follow your model and its parameters. could you please provide or show me from where I get the dynamic parameters such as robot weigh, moment of inertia, ... used in Vrep.

Cheers

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

You can also examine the inertia and mass properties of a shape in this dialog. Make also first sure you understand very well this page before going ahead. Because, as you might notice, not all shapes in that model (or for that, in any model) have a dynamic function (during simulation, have a look at the scene hierarchy and the little icon of a bounding ball next to some of the dynamically enabled objects).

Cheers