V-rep getting slower

Report crashes, strange behaviour, or apparent bugs
Hasif

V-rep getting slower

Post by Hasif »

Hello

I tried to create a hospital ward environment with 2 rooms, each room with 6 hospital beds along side with cabinet and cupboard beside each bed. The hospital bed, cabinet and cupboard meshes were imported without adding pure shapes. I added some walls and an automatic door too. As I added more models, the V-rep starts to get slower even though I already disable the undo/redo functionality without running the simulation.

I would to know what causes the V-rep to lag or slow and what can I do to counter this problem making the V-rep runs smoothly as I required to simulate mobile robots in a hospital environments.

Thank you in advance.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: V-rep getting slower

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

this is not a bug, this is normal when your simulation content gets heavy. The reasons can be multiple, first make sure to understand where it comes from. You can inspect the calculation times of the various sensors, the calculation time of the dynamics module, and last but not least, the rendering time.

When you import meshes, the best is to first simplify them, if they are large. We never recommend having more than 500'000 triangles in total in the scene. Have a look at the free MeshLab application that lets you simplify meshes (there are other applications for that too). Load the mesh in MeshLab, then go to [Menu bar --> Filters --> Remeshing, simplification and Reconstruction --> Quadratic edge collaps decimation].

Another thing: if you have several identical objects (e.g. identical rooms), then first simplify one object, and create a model out of it. Make sure the model is tagged as Object/model can transfer or accept DNA (in the object common properties). Once your model is finished, you can simply copy-paste that object. Doing this will reduce the size of your scene, and also allows you to modify one model, and apply the changes to all other similar models later on (this is the Transfer DNA function, there is a toolbar button for that).

Cheers

Hasif

Post by Hasif »

Thank you very much. It works much better. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hasif

Post by Hasif »

Hello

Even though i had reduced the meshes for each model, the accumulate triangle meshes for creating a single room with 6 set of beds inclusive of cabinet, table and a chair for each bed will definitely exceed 500,000. For now, no sensors are used at the moment.

For your info, i need to simulate a hospital ward with 5 of those rooms and an another level which have some medical rooms. The purpose for my project is to simulate an automated guided vehicle in a 2-level hospital environment transporting a cart/trolley from 1st floor to 2nd floor which the ward is located by using elevator.

I can see that this kind of simulation requires lots of models and meshes causing the V-Rep to perform slower. I will be very happy to receive any suggestions or recommendation to achieve this simulation without slowing down V-rep's performances.

I apologize for my poor English.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

You will definitively have to even more reduce the number of triangles in your meshes. Sometimes you can find extremely detailed models of things on internet, but they are more meant to be used for ray-tracing or other similar applications. Sometimes you will have to recreate a simple mesh yourself.

If possible, try to post a scene where your problem appears.

Cheers