[Vrep 3.3.0] Shape edit painfully slow

Report crashes, strange behaviour, or apparent bugs
hubertjw

[Vrep 3.3.0] Shape edit painfully slow

Post by hubertjw »

Hello,

I've just installed the 3.3.0 version on my laptop and the shape edit is so slow it's unusable. I tried with and without plugging the power cord in. Yesterday I was still able to do it on the 3.2.3 version.

By the way, I'm using it to extract cylinders on servo's shafts, to use as position references for my revolution joints. Is there a simpler way to do it ?

Best regards,

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: [Vrep 3.3.0] Shape edit painfully slow

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

this is strange, since this part of the code wasn't touched for current release. Are you sure you tested previous release on the same computer?

How many triangles are contained in the shape you want to edit? In general, you should keep the number of triangles in shapes as low as possible, since otherwise many things can be slowed down (e.g. visualization, dynamics, distance calculation collision detection, proximity sensor operation).

What you can do is reduce the number of triangles in your shape via [menu bar --> Edit --> Decimate selected shape...]

Cheers

hubertjw

Post by hubertjw »

The count is rather is high, 5000 tris, but it's not a dynamic shape.

Decimation does not really improve performance. There is a very noticeable delay between the moment a triangle is clicked on and the moment it is selected.

I guess I'll just make a custom shape in blender first.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

5000 triangles is not high. Maybe there is another problem with your mesh. Can you post the scene?

Cheers

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

well, it seems you have a problem with your graphic card, or the driver. A shape with 5000 triangles is now high, and should display fast, even in edit mode. Try to update the GPU drivers.

Cheers