sim.importShape() sometimes crashes when using more than 1 remote API (legacy) server

Report crashes, strange behaviour, or apparent bugs
Uli_v

sim.importShape() sometimes crashes when using more than 1 remote API (legacy) server

Post by Uli_v »

I am using one remote API client and 2 remote API servers, where I sometimes call sim.importShape() via custom remote API call. I don't call them at the same time for different servers. After a few times (order of 5-15), the call fails and I get this error message below in the console.
This issue might be related to using several remote API servers, because I don't have the problem if I only use one server. I can make thousands of calls without any problem. I am using V-REP 3.5.0 (I had issues with later versions too, I think with importShape() doesn't work at all. That is why I still use 3.5.0. I can try if I have the same issue with V-REP 3.6.1 rev3).

Code: Select all

Lua runtime error: [string "CHILD SCRIPT remoteApiCommandServer"]:132: Operation failed. (sim.importShape)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'importShape'
	[string "CHILD SCRIPT remoteApiCommandServer"]:132: in function <[string "CHILD SCRIPT remoteApiCommandServer"]:113>
Error: [string -unknown location]:?: Call failed. (simCallScriptFunctionEx on importShape@remoteApiCommandServer)

Here is the code of the custom remote API call:

importShape = function(inInts, inFloats, inStrings, inBuffer)
    print("importShape call")
    use_dummy_as_handle = inInts[1]

position = {inFloats[1], inFloats[2], inFloats[3]}
    orientation = {inFloats[4], inFloats[5], inFloats[6]}
    color = {inFloats[7], inFloats[8], inFloats[9]}
    scale = inFloats[10]

name = inStrings[1]
    mesh_file = inStrings[2]
    frame_ref = inStrings[3] -- used as reference frame for position and orientation
    collection = inStrings[4]
    parent = inStrings[5]

-- import mesh
    local file_format = 4 -- 4 for BINARY STL format
    local options = 0 -- bit-encoded, 0=defaults
    local identicalVerticeTolerance = 0.0
    shapeHandle = sim.importShape(4, mesh_file, options, identicalVerticeTolerance, scale)
    print("shapeHandle", shapeHandle)
    print("name", name)
    sim.setObjectName(shapeHandle, name)

if use_dummy_as_handle == 1 then -- add a dummy as parent to serve as the local reference frame (handle)
        dummyHandle = sim.createDummy(0.01)
        sim.setObjectName(dummyHandle, name .. '_handle') -- the handle has suffix "_handle"
        sim.setObjectParent(shapeHandle, dummyHandle, true)
        objectHandle = dummyHandle
    else
        objectHandle = shapeHandle -- objectHandle is the handle to use to modify the position/orientation of the object.
                                   -- Or used to set parents or to add to collections.
    end
    print("objectHandle", objectHandle)
    print("objectHandle name", name .. '_handle')   

-- add parent (optional)
    if parent ~= '' then
        parentHandle = sim.getObjectHandle(parent)
        sim.setObjectParent(objectHandle, parentHandle, true)
    end

-- Set position and orientation
    if frame_ref ~= '' then
        refHandle = sim.getObjectHandle(frame_ref)
    else
        refHandle = '-1' -- use the world as reference
    end
    sim.setObjectPosition(objectHandle, refHandle, position)
    sim.setObjectOrientation(objectHandle, refHandle, orientation)
    --print(sim.getObjectOrientation(objectHandle,refHandle))

-- add to collection (optional)
    if collection ~= '' then
        collectionHandle = sim.getCollectionHandle(collection)
        sim.addObjectToCollection(collectionHandle, objectHandle, sim.handle_single, 0)
        if use_dummy_as_handle == 1 then -- also add the shape to collection
            sim.addObjectToCollection(collection_handle, shapeHandle, sim.handle_single, 0)
        end     
    end

sim.setShapeColor(shapeHandle, nil, sim.colorcomponent_ambient_diffuse, color)
    sim.setObjectInt32Parameter(shapeHandle, sim.shapeintparam_static, 1)
    sim.setObjectInt32Parameter(shapeHandle, sim.shapeintparam_respondable, 1)
    sim.setObjectInt32Parameter(shapeHandle, sim.shapefloatparam_mass, 0.00001) -- make the object very light
    sim.setObjectSpecialProperty(shapeHandle, sim.objectspecialproperty_renderable+sim.objectspecialproperty_collidable+sim.objectspecialproperty_measurable)
    sim.resetDynamicObject(shapeHandle)
    return {shapeHandle,objectHandle}, {}, {}, ''
end
It seems to fail in this line (this is line 132 mentioned in the error message):

shapeHandle = sim.importShape(4, mesh_file, options, identicalVerticeTolerance, scale)
When successul it prints this to ther V-REP console, see print statements:

importShape call
shapeHandle,150
name,plane_0
objectHandle,151
However, when it fails, then it only print "importShape call" to the terminal, nothing to the V-REP console (only the error message). A workaround, where I try again to call doesn't work. I keep getting the error message.

Some advice about debugging would be helpful (e.g. how to debug the cause of the plugin error). Thanks

Uli_v

Re: sim.importShape() sometimes crashes when using more than 1 remote API (legacy) server

Post by Uli_v »

I also tried with V-REP 3.6.1 rev3. Here the importShape call also eventually fails (after around the same number of calls), but it returns with -1 for the shapeHandle. It prints this to the terminal:

importShape call
Assimp: importing '/home/uli/vrep_ur5/simulation/objects/plane_2cm_dia_2x2xp1.stl'
shapeHandle	-1
name	plane_0
And this to the V-REP console:

Lua runtime error: [string "CHILD SCRIPT remoteApiCommandServer"]:135: Object does not exist. (sim.setObjectName)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'setObjectName'
	[string "CHILD SCRIPT remoteApiCommandServer"]:135: in function <[string "CHILD SCRIPT remoteApiCommandServer"]:113>
Error: [string -unknown location]:?: Call failed. (simCallScriptFunctionEx on importShape@remoteApiCommandServer)
The error "Object does not exist" makes sense because the import failed.

So why does it fail eventually?