Why can't two V-REP instances play nicely with one another when running on the same PC?

Report crashes, strange behaviour, or apparent bugs
RobAtLab

Why can't two V-REP instances play nicely with one another when running on the same PC?

Post by RobAtLab »

I've had this trouble for a while, with V-REP 3.5, I'm not after a fix, just an indication as to what common resource in the liunux operating system, or what common file in the v-rep folder (even if each v-rep instance has a separate folder of its own), multiple instances try to share and then fight over. If one starts of a v-rep job on a pc, then starts another one, then the second job is not able to do things like write out to csv files, or close itself if it is run from the command line with a specified simulated time limit. Can you please explain what the cause is, so I can work out a mitigation for myself so I may run multiple instances at once. I've only found this with the linux version, I haven't a windows or mac machine so have never seen if those ones have this same problem. I suspect the bug is in V-REP 3.62 as well, a colleague who uses that has found similar things happening, but I'm not sure if it is happening in the most recent coppellliasim.Thanks

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Why can't two V-REP instances play nicely with one another when running on the same PC?

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

how are you trying to write that CSV file? Is the system trying to write it, or a script? Also, if the other instance is writing/reading the file at the same time, the first instance will obviously have to wait.
Please provide a simple example that illustrates this.

Cheers