Which sensor should i use to get similar behaviour as an LDR

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
AmrabdDZ

Which sensor should i use to get similar behaviour as an LDR

Post by AmrabdDZ »

Hello everyone ;

So i'm working actually on a project with a 2 DoF robot arm carrying a solar panel to get the MPP (Maximum Power Point), i did a first solution using Matlab and Vrep based on a solar position algorithm and it was perfect.

Now i have to do a second solution to track the sun using 4 LDR sensors, i want to know how could i do that in Vrep, i read a little bit about vision sensor, i think its the best choice but how can i use its features to have similar behaviour as an LDR. and especially a sensor that i can read its data using Matlab API Functions.

Note: i used an omnidirectional light inside a yellew sphere to simulate sun, and they move together using real data position coming from Matlab.

Thanks for helping me.
Best regards ;
AMIRI.

AmrabdDZ

Re: Which sensor should i use to get similar behaviour as an LDR

Post by AmrabdDZ »

Could someone Help please@coppelia ...

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

You cannot directly measure the light intensity by looking at a light: the light will not be shown, only its effect on surfaces is seen (illumination of the surface). So instead of having a vision sensor look towards the light source, have it look towards the illuminated surface (e.g. the solar panel). Or create a new type of sensor with a small rectangular, white shape, and a very low-res vision sensor looking at it from above.

Then you can measure the intensity of the vision sensor with sim.readVisionSensor:

Code: Select all

local result,packet1=sim.readVisionSensor(visionSensorHandle)
    if result>0 then
        local averageIntensity=packet1[11]
    end
Then there are different ways you can make that value available to Matlab. E.g. using the legacy remote API, if you place the data in a signal with sim.setFloatSignal, you can read it with simxGetFloatSignal. You could also directly pick the data up by calling simxCallScriptFunction, where on the CoppeliaSim side you'd have something like:

Code: Select all

function sysCall_init()
    visionSensorHandle=sim.getObjectHandle(sim.handle_self)
    averageIntensity=0
end

function sysCall_sensing()
    local result,packet1=sim.readVisionSensor(visionSensorHandle)
    if result>0 then
        averageIntensity=packet1[11]
    end
end

function getData(inInts,inFloats,inStrings,inBuffer)
    return {},{averageIntensity},{},''
end
Above would be more convenient if you have to deal with several sensors and several values to fetch from CoppeliaSim.

Cheers

AmrabdDZ

Post by AmrabdDZ »

Thank you @coppelia this is very helpful, i totaly understand your solution.

So yesterday i was testing by myself and i found an other solution, is making the light inside a yellow sphere shape and give them the same mouvement while the simulation, so the light will be always inside the yellow sphere while moving, and i ll place the vision sensors on the solar panel while they can't see anything just the sphere and then i will use sim.simxReadVisionSensor Matlab API function , for each of the four vision sensors that i have and i will use the average intensity auxPacket[11] the same way as a signal of the intensity of light detected by an LDR and develop my algorithm.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O_eYDG ... sp=sharing

Here is my simulation test just move the yellow sphere when you simulate to see the average intensity variying in two graphs.

Hope that both of the solutions will help other persons.
Thanks again @coppelia