How can I obtain a replication effect when using V-REP

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
abcmeetxyz

How can I obtain a replication effect when using V-REP

Post by abcmeetxyz »

Hi,

I'm in my final year at uni and one of my projects is to build a simulated robot which replicates itself. While I have my model in google Sketchup and have imported it to Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio I soon realised that I had no way of actually building anything in that setup.
So I've turned my attention towards V-REP, I haven't imported my robot model yet but I will build one from zero if necessary.
My question is how can I model the environment at a specifc point in front of my robot so that it looks like he's building a part of itself by extrusion hopefully. In my head it should look like a laser spitting out some kind of material almost like the welding function in V-REP but I'm not sure that the welding functions can add Layer upon Layer of material.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Kind regards,
Alex

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: How can I obtain a replication effect when using V-REP

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

Well, difficult. You could have your program figure out whyt parts are needed, then generate them via functions like:

simImportMesh
simImportShape
simCreateMeshShape

Or you could have the shapes already in the scene, but invisible. Then you can copy and paste them, and make them visible.

Another option would be to build stuff with many small cubes, using functions like:

simCreatePureShape
simGroupShapes

Cheers

abcmeetxyz

Re: How can I obtain a replication effect when using V-REP

Post by abcmeetxyz »

Thank you for responding so quickly. As I was reading your answer I was thinking that maybe I can trick the user by using a laser scanner and as it passes above something the cube gets from invisible to visible ? but how can I go about doing different shapes and not just one designated thing in the simulation. Let's take for example a wheel. And would you suggest I use a redundant manipulator as the printing laser head?