NaoQi with v-Rep

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
msreddy

NaoQi with v-Rep

Post by msreddy »

I am new to V-rep & Nao. I have simple questions. Can some one please clarify me.

1) V-rep is a simulation engine. Can't we simulate NAO behavior like any other robots in a scene with a NAO model without NaoQi.

2) If not, then what are the advantages, & disadvantages for integrating (communication on the same PC) V-Rep & NaoQi.

Thank you

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: NaoQi with v-Rep

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

about your questions:
  • Yes, you can simulate a model of NAO without NaoQi. But in that case you will not use the original controller code (i.e. you will have to generate the joint movement yourself for each of the many joints). Have a look at the NAO model in V-REP: Models/mobile/NAO.ttm. It simply uses prerecorded joint movements. But you can also do it yourself.
  • The advantage is to be able to use the original controller to control a NAO model.
Cheers

msreddy

Post by msreddy »

Thank you for the reply.

> Yes, you can simulate a model of NAO without NaoQi. But in that case you will not use the original controller code (i.e. you will have to generate the joint movement yourself for each of the many joints). Have a look at the NAO model in V-REP: Models/mobile/NAO.ttm. It simply uses prerecorded joint movements. But you can also do it yourself.
So I can programme my controller in V-Rep for the joint movements.

> The advantage is to be able to use the original controller to control a NAO model.
For example, i have a neural network controller for joint movements (assume that NAO is standing still), then that means, with this controller i can control physical NAO, and we can also use to control NAO model in V-Rep? So that it means by using NaoQi & V-Rep together brings the simulation more close to the reality!

Thank you

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

mmmh, not exactly: NaoQi is good if you want to interact with the real robot, or if you want the original controller to be applied to the V-REP NAO model. But it will not make the simulation more real.

In your case, if you want to simply have your neural network figure out what joint positions to apply, then you won't need the NaoQi at all.

Cheers

Bogna

Post by Bogna »

Hi,
Is there any tutorial as to how use NAOqi with V-Rep? I have to use V-rep as a substitution for Webots for NAO, and I have never used it before, so I don't really know how to even start. And once NAOqi is integrated with V-Rep is there any way to use Choreograph for programming a simulated NAO?
Sorry for probably dumb questions, but I can't find the answers anywhere - only statements that it is possible to use NAOqi.
I am working on V-rep pro edu on Windows, but I can install it on Fedora if that'll make things easier.

Thanks in advance.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

we'll put you in touch with the developer of a NaoQi interface.

Cheers

Bogna

Post by Bogna »

Hello again,
Since Mr Cognetti is not responding and I still haven't found any reliable information on the topic I would like to ask any and all of you who have some experience with NAO in V-REP for some feedback.

Is V-REP easy to use with NAO? Have you tried connecting it with NAOqi? Were you using Choregraphe or writing your own code? Last but not least, why chose V-REP for the task?

I would be grateful for any information. I tried installing V-REP on my own, but it takes ages to do anything as I only have a notes-taking kind of laptop.

Thanks in advance,
Bogna

alexa

Post by alexa »

Hi Bogna,
I'm interesting in a task similar to yours. I'd like to know how you manage the issue.
Thank you!

gomez

Post by gomez »

Hello,

I'm also interested in what state does naoqi interface actually happens to be? Is it currently possible to connect to simulated Nao using choregraphe suite only?
Thanks,

Johny

neostek

Post by neostek »

Hello everyone,

sorry for the delay but I was out of the forum in the last months. As described in this post viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3353&p=13529&hilit=nao#p13529 I'm searching for volunteers that test/expand the V-REP plugin (that connects the simulated NAO to NAOQI and then Chroregraphe). As described in the post, I'm searching for people with intermediate/advanced C++ level.

There is no documentation online yet since I would like to make the project to be stable and functional and then release the code (although there is an installation guide in the repo where is the code).
What I can tell you is that the code is tested up to NAOQI 1.14.5 (so no test on version 2.0 and over) and on Ubuntu 12.04 (I guess there is no problem for 14.04 at 90%. I know of people using it on Ubuntu 14.04). It works also for MAC users. I did not test it on Windows (there are some modifications in the Cmake to be performed but it is not super hard).

If you are interested in, please tell me. Again, please do not just take the plugin and use for your purposes (obviously you can use for that) but contribute to the plugin itself.

Thank you,
Neostek