make two objects surface contact easily?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Hughnathan123

make two objects surface contact easily?

Post by Hughnathan123 »

Hi,
Recently I am using V-rep to build robot module, but I find that it is difficult to move the object precisely especially when I plan to make two surface contact together ,i.e. the contact between the floor and robot base. Is there possible to make two objects contact easily?Thank you.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: make two objects surface contact easily?

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

you mean you are having difficulties to position/orient some objects precisely relative to another object?

Have a look at how the manipulators and grippers work: put a robot arm into the scene: you will notice a red object at its tip. Then put a gripper (or a sensor model) into the scene. Select the gripper, then the red object, then click the assemble/disassemble toolbar button: the gripper will be put into the appropriate position/orientation automatically.

You can do this with every object/model, but you need to tell V-REP what will be the object's relative transformation matrix after the assembly: just position the model relative to the origin, as if the object it will be attached onto was located at the origin too. then, select the object, and in the object common properties, open the Assembling dialog. Then click Set matrix. That's it.

Cheers

Hughnathan123

Post by Hughnathan123 »

Hi,
I have tried these methods like the assemble/disassemble and the Assembling dialog ,which are useful tools to set relationship between two objects,but I still can't make two faces of two different objects asscemble correctly.For example,I can use the Catia to constraint two faces and the axis of two different cylinders to assemble objects, which will make the assemble correctly when I need to put my model on the robot platform. The soffit of model and the upper face will be set correctly which will be beneficial for dynamice solution here.Thank you.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Ok, I see.

You have another option, but it is more complicated:
  • enter the triangle edit mode for one of the shapes.
  • select triangles of interest and extract them as shape, cuboid or cylinder.
  • leave the triangle edit mode and cancel the changes.
  • attach the original shape to the extracted shape.
  • repeat above procedure for the second shape.
  • finally, you can manipulate the two original shape's positions/orientations via their extracted shapes. Refer also to the coordinate and transformation dialog.
Cheers

Hughnathan123

Post by Hughnathan123 »

Thanks for your reply. I have solved the problem.Two faces are placed in the same plane so I can confirm the accurate position of the objects.Thank you!