Hybrid Dynamic Systems: is it V-REP a good choice?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
formica

Hybrid Dynamic Systems: is it V-REP a good choice?

Post by formica »

Hi Coppelia,
I'm asking you a conceptual support.

Do you think that V-REP could be a good simulated experimental platform to simulate a network of hybrid dynamical systems (e.g. a network of mobile robots). I have a few doubts about syncronization of different automatons.

My goal is to perform some experimentations for my Ph.D.

Regards
Roberto

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Hybrid Dynamic Systems: is it V-REP a good choice?

Post by coppelia »

Hello Roberto,

your question is very broad. But when it comes to synchronization, you can do everything with V-REP:
  • You can synchronize threaded child scripts with the main simulation loop
  • Non-threaded child scripts are synchronized by default
  • With remotely located controllers, they run in asynchronous mode by default. But you can enable a synchronous mode for them, in which case, the client will be able to trigger each individual simulation step. Have for instance a look at this page.
  • You have various types of callback-scripts, that allow you to react to various events (e.g. typically joint controller events) in the exact appropriate time.
With above mechanisms, you have a very good execution control of all parts of your code. But it is also very important you understand how those different elements interact with each other. Specifically, how the main script handles the various parts of a simulation, and how the child scripts are being handled.

Cheers