Making loaded scene visible

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
imhotep

Making loaded scene visible

Post by imhotep »

I am using a remote API client and simxLoadScene to load a scene into VREP. When VREP is started, and before my scene is loaded, a default new scene is presented in the UI.

My scene loads fine, however, it is not visible. I can manually select the VREP menu "Scenes" and then select my loaded scene to make it visible in the VREP scene view.

I would like to be able to make the loaded scene visible from my remote client. I cannot find a way to do this. I tried initiating the simulation - which works fine - but the scene in the VREP view is the default new scene (i.e. an empty world). I know the simulation is running because the output text is changing.

Suggestions?

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Making loaded scene visible

Post by coppelia »

I am not sure I understand what you mean. Are you describing a bug?

Cheers

imhotep

Post by imhotep »

After more testing, the problem appears to be in forcing a refresh of the main scene view so that the robot - and it's actions, can be observed.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

The scene display will only be refreshed if simulation is advancing. By default, each simulation step is followed by a display step. If your simulation time is not advancing, then there won't be a screen refresh.

Cheers

imhotep

Post by imhotep »

Again, scene does not come into view, even when simulation is running. Hard to read the output window, as the output running simulation overlays the output window for the default new scene.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

That is very strange. Can you post a minimalistic scene and remote API code that illustrates this?

Cheers

imhotep

Post by imhotep »

I have the minimalistic scene, but how do I send it to you? Specifically, the .ttt file?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Please use a service such as dropbox or similar, then share the link to the file.

Cheers

imhotep

Post by imhotep »

Great. I wasn't sure if Dropbox would work for you.

Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/l/sh/SMCReElDrIhtKiqiWSZuon

The folder contains all the files used in the test, other then VREP and MATLAB, of course:

V-REP PRO EDU, Version 3.3.0 (rev.1) 64 bit (serialization version 18) (Q1 Version 5.5.0) Built Feb 18 2016

Matlab R2013a Student version (8.1.0.604) 64-bit (maci64) February 15, 2013

Running on an iMac:

Mac OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.3

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)
2.7 GHz Intel Core I5
12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

The minimalist Matlab script is minimalStartSimTest.m and can be started by executing runMinimalStartSimTest.m

The other scripts, simpleStartSimTest.m and runSimpleStartSimTest.m produce verbose tracking output statements.

Thank you.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Unfortunately we cannot reproduce this strange behaviour, at least on Windows.

What happens if you resize the Window, will the scene be refreshed?
What happens if the scene is already loaded and you simply trigger the start/stop simulation from Matlab?

Cheers