Robulab 80 interface

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
iamninad

Robulab 80 interface

Post by iamninad »

Hi everyone.

I am new to this framework V-REP and it seems really interesting. I will be working on the robulab-80 which is a mobile manipulator which has a sick laser scanner and ultrasound finder.

Can I use V-rep to work with the robot?

If so do I need to write a plugin or can I use the remote API to connect to the actual robot?

Also how can I obtain readings from the laser range finder and ultrasound sensor or do I need to develop some custom function to acquire data?

Thanks in advance.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Robulab 80 interface

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

Yes, you can simulate/control everything in V-REP.
You have many different methods to interface your real robot with V-REP. Some of them are plugins, remote API clients or ROS nodes. But you could also directly interface your robot via a child script and serial port communication or socket communication. This page gives a good overview of what is possible to do.
Once you have decided of a method, then you can start handing the various data to your plugin, remote API client or other controller. You would usually do this by packing data into a signal that can be read from the controller. But here also, you have many means of communication!
Refer to some of the demo models of laser scanners: open the attached child script and have a look at the code (usually at the end there is some explanation how to transfer the acquired data)

Cheers

iamninad

Re: Robulab 80 interface

Post by iamninad »

Thanks for such a quick reply.

I will go through the links which you have sent me and will get back if I have some further doubts.

Thanks again.