collision detection missing question

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
SamuelXu

collision detection missing question

Post by SamuelXu »

Hello
I hit an issue on collision detection.
The scenario is: I imported a STL model as object t A, which is constructed externally apps, and placed a cuboid B in the path of this imported object A. Then A can move to hit B
Here A is an vehicle, almost a cube, while some part is concave of cube size

λ A and B are in same visibility layer
λ I make sure object A & B’s“collidable” is checked
λ I also added a collision object C to detect collision between object A and rest entity
Collision obviously happens between between A and B, since A is forced stopped by B, while C’s collision counter still zero

I also tried following steps, still no collision detection.
λ I tried ODE and Bullet, both hit same missing  collision detection
λ I tried to modify the dynamic properties: collision margin scaling to smallest value

Is there any missing step of my collision detection setting?

BTW, While when I tried another way to enlarge a lot of the geometry size of A, looks sometime it can triger C’s collision counter. Back to the normal default size of A, collision counter always zero

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: collision detection missing question

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

I am not sure I understand your question. Do you want to detect collision, or a collision response. From your question I guess you just want to check whether two shapes overlap.

So your two shapes need to be collidable. Then, you have 2 possibilities:
a) you can either create a collision object (make sure it is between shape A and shape B, and that explicit handling is not checked.

b) you can simply check the collision state inside of a script with simCheckCollision(shapeA,shapeB).

Make sure to post your scene so that we can check what is going on, otherwise it is difficult to track your bug.

Cheers