Using inverse kinematics to move robot to target position and orientation

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
kamil

Using inverse kinematics to move robot to target position and orientation

Post by kamil »

Hi,

I am trying to create an environment with a Sawyer robot with a gripper, a ring attached to the gripper and a peg on the table. I want to then control the robot using inverse kinematics and I would like the robot to follow both the position and the orientation of the target. This is the scene which I have created https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ST9j7e ... sp=sharing

I can get the tip to follow the targets position but not the targets orientation. In the Inverse Kinematics dialog under edit IK elements I have only the x, y and z constraints ticked. I would assume that if I additionally tick alpha-beta and gamma constraint the tip would also follow the targets orientation. However, even with the DLS method for solving IK, with all the constraints ticked, IK fails. I would like to ask how I could get the tip to follow both the target position and orientation? Position is much more important to me, however, I would also like the orientation to be approximately the desired orientation whenever it is possible. The angular precision does not have to be high. And in cases that it is not possible to achieve the target orientation, I would like to only follow the target position (maybe by relaxing the constraints).

Thank you for your time and I wish you all the best.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Using inverse kinematics to move robot to target position and orientation

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

looking at your scene the robot end-effector follows the ring in position and orientation.
But note that you are not using the inverse kinematics functionality at all. Your two tip-target dummies are linked via a dynamics overlap constraint, and your joints are not in IK mode.

Cheers