V-REP + ROS 2

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Filipe Rocha

V-REP + ROS 2

Post by Filipe Rocha »

Hello, everyone.

What is the best way to interface V-REP simulation with ROS 2 framework?

(Thanks for the great simulator :)

Cheers.

fferri

Re: V-REP + ROS 2

Post by fferri »

A ROS2 port of the RosInterface plugin is in the works, and will probably released in the second half of November.

Meanwhile, ros1_bridge might (or might not) suit your needs.

Smitty44

Post by Smitty44 »

Hi there, I just asked a question on the ROS forum yesterday concerning ROS1 and ROS2 (On Windows) and the RosInterface. Great news about the upcoming RosInterface plugin. Thank you for all your work.
I am brand new to ROS, so I know I ask questions which are fundamental, but I am still trying to get ROS1 installed and working correctly. I saw that ROS2 is available.
So, my question relating to your answer of using ros1_bridge indicates that both ROS1 and ROS2 can (or should) be installed at the same time and can communicate.

So, in your opinion, would there be any benefit for ONLY ROS2 to be installed and just wait for the release next month of the ROS2 port for the RosInterface? Or must both ROS1 and ROS2 be installed?

I have imported my biped model (from FUSION 360) into V-REP. I have the Anaconda 3 distribution installed and I was using Spyder/python to communicate and manipulate the model in the simulator through the APIs.
I was hoping to add AI/machine learning (tensorflow and gpu) to help the biped learn how to walk.
Thank you for any guidance. I really appreciate it.

fferri

Post by fferri »

ROS2 is still lacking several features that are available in ROS1.

About ROS bridge: ROS1 and ROS2 could be in theory on the same machine, but that configuration gave me build issues. Probably you can have ROS1 core on a different machine.

What configuration works best it really depends upon your needs.

Filipe Rocha

Post by Filipe Rocha »

Thank you so much for your response, @fferri.

@Smitty44, I am with both ROS1 and ROS2 on my machine now. As @fferri stated, you may have some issues while building some stuff. Until now, I managed to work around them by controlling each terminal's ROSX sourcing - the ros1_bridge requires a tricky ROS1-ROS2 sourcing on the same terminal, for example.

Cheers.