How to properly import urdf file

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
louxibai

How to properly import urdf file

Post by louxibai »

Hi,

I converted a xacro file to urdf and import it into VREP, the original xacro file is for a franka emika panda robot arm, it looks good in moveit, but when loaded into VREP, the appearance is different, it seems like VREP only loaded the stl files, but the visual dae files are igonred.

Could you advise me how to properly load the urdf so the appearance of the robot comes from the specified dae files?

Best regards,
XL

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: How to properly import urdf file

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

can you try to recompile the URDF plugin? There was a fix recently, that could be the reason for your strange appearance.

Cheers

fferri

Post by fferri »

Or you can manually fix your model by doing the following for every odd-looking shape:
  • ungroup it
  • remove the respondable (simplified) mesh that was part of the group
  • (optional) adjust the name of the other mesh

louxibai

Post by louxibai »

Thanks for replying,

This is a screenshot of my scene, the left panda gripper is what the dae file looks like, and the one on the ground is imported from urdf, the appearance is the same as its stl collision file. It looks like the urdf plugin simplifies the visual appearance when importing it(or mistaken stl file as the visual model?). When I import the dae file by itself the model looks good.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/edila5kmpeokb ... 3.png?dl=0

I'm running 3.6.2, could you share how to recompile the plugin? Thanks.

Regards

fferri

Post by fferri »

louxibai wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 17:50 I'm running 3.6.2, could you share how to recompile the plugin? Thanks.
(requires Qt)

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/CoppeliaRobotics/v_repExtUrdf
cd v_repExtUrdf
qmake
make
then copy the libv_repExtUrdf library to the same location where the vrep binary is