build a custom two finger parallel gripper ourself?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
v-wewei

build a custom two finger parallel gripper ourself?

Post by v-wewei »

hi, everyone
since i need to use a custom gripper for my project, and then sim-to-real transform. would anyone to give or share a successful experience for how to build custom grippers ourself.
i am now not sure whether it is a good idea to imitate the default baxter gripper or panda gripper with two parallel finger.
thanks andvance for your help.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: build a custom two finger parallel gripper ourself?

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

maybe there is one piece of advice: have a look how the 2-finger Baxter gripper was done. The important point is: instead of having two separate linear actuators for your fingers (one actuator per finger), use one single linear actuator that links the two fingers and that controls the open/close movement of the fingers. And have another auxiliary linear actuator that control the position of the two fingers. Similar to following:

Code: Select all

handBase --> auxiliaryJoint --> finger1 --> openCloseJoint --> finger2
instead of

Code: Select all

handBase --> finger1Joint --> finger1
         --> finger2Joint --> finger2
With the first situation you will be able to have a much more stable gripping than with the second situation. Think of it like the chopstick approach (arm is the auxiliary joint, hand is the open/close joint) versus holding an individual chopstick in each hand.

Cheers

v-wewei

Re: build a custom two finger parallel gripper ourself?

Post by v-wewei »

okay, sorry for my late reply, i will have a try and pose any question here i meet.
thanks for your kind advice.