Controlling Chai3D and CoppeliaSim Simulations with the same haptic device

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
bblaise

Controlling Chai3D and CoppeliaSim Simulations with the same haptic device

Post by bblaise »

Hi all,

I'm trying to program simulations that interface with Chai3D. What I'd like to do is create a simulation where a desktop haptic device (i.e. Phantom Omni) can control a robotic arm in CopeliaSim and also interact with a haptic environment produced in Chai3D. Basically the idea is to create side-by-side simulations, one for large-scale manipulation/trajectory following and the other for small-scale haptic interaction.

The simulation should work by first allowing the haptic device to control the robotic ARM for large/global movements to approach a workpiece. This workpiece should just be a generic object in the scene but it actually is a scene modeled in Chai3D. Once the arm reaches the workpiece, the haptic device begins controlling a cursor in Chai3D. Now, the CopeliaSim arm is no longer being controlled and the user is interacting with the detailed Chai3D model of the workpiece.

I'm open to suggestions on how to formulate my objectives differently. I'm basically a newbie with both programs so hopefully someone can break things down for me.

Thanks