CoppeliaSim freezes intermittently under Ubuntu 18.04

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
felipe.n.martins

CoppeliaSim freezes intermittently under Ubuntu 18.04

Post by felipe.n.martins »

Hello,

I am experiencing problems with simulations of CoppeliaSim Edu 4.0 in Ubuntu 18.04:
When I start the simulation of any scene the simulation runs normally for a couple of seconds, then it freezes for a few seconds, then it runs again, then it freezes again... ad infinitum. I did try many of the examples that come with CoppeliaSim and I observed the same behavior with all scenes. When the simulator freezes it seems that the whole computer freezes also.

My computer is a HP Probook with processor Intel i5-8265U @ 1.6-1.8GHz, with 8GB of RAM.

I have dual boot with Ubuntu and Windows 10. I have also downloaded and installed the same version of CoppeliaSim (EDU 4.0) on my Windows 10 in the same computer, and it works perfectly! No freezing under Windows. I only experience the freezing problem when I run CoppeliaSim on Ubuntu 18.04.

Is there anything I can do to try to solve this issue?
I need CoppeliaSim on Ubuntu 18.04 because I want to use it with ROS Melodic.

Thank you!

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: CoppeliaSim freezes intermittently under Ubuntu 18.04

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

it is always a pity if we can't reproduce the problem here.
In your case, can you observe this problem on a different Ubuntu machine?
When the freeze happens, does the text at the top of the scene view indicate a long calculation time, e.g. with vision sensors, or with dynamics?
Can you try to remove all plugins and see if the problem persists (all files that match libsimExt*.so)? If the problem disappears, can you then add the plugins one-by-one and see which one causes the freeze?

Cheers

felipe.n.martins

Re: CoppeliaSim freezes intermittently under Ubuntu 18.04

Post by felipe.n.martins »

Hi, Thanks a lot for the tips.

I have installed Ubuntu 18.04 on another computer to test CoppeliaSim, as you suggested. It is an older machine, with an Intel i7 and 12GB of RAM, with an NVIDIA card (instead of an Intel card, as the other one). I also installed ROS Melodic and repeated the same tests with CoppeliaSim: everything worked fine! I did not observe the freezing problem in any of the simulations.

After a couple of days I went back to the original machine, which had the freezing problem. To my surprise, I cannot observe the freezing problem on the original machine either! Honestly, I have no idea what happened. The only thing I can think of is that maybe something changed during the Ubuntu update.

To sum up: the problem disappeared. I didn't have the chance to test if the removal of the plugins would make a difference.

Anyway, now everything works... and I am happy. :-)
Thanks again!