Collision detection is not sensitive enough

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Shaoxiang Wang

Collision detection is not sensitive enough

Post by Shaoxiang Wang »

Hello,

i am new to Vrep. Here i have two questions.
Here I use Pan-Glass to build a working platform. I think,they should be optical components, so I added actual cuboids on the outside of them. Used as a fence. But the human hand can also penetrate into the platform. What I hope is that it can block people from entering the platform. How should I adjust the parameters?
If i adjust the dynamic parameter"Body is dynamic",when the human hand penetrates into the platform,the cuboid will fall.
How should I adjust the characteristics of this cuboid or human characteristics to ensure that people can not enter the work platform?

This is my second question. We can see ,there is a collision between human hand and object. But Collision can't be detected. It may take a few seconds or a few milliseconds , or to reach a specific location, or when the contact area is large enough to detect a collision. Is it because the shape of the human hand is complicated and the calculation time is extended? Still have other reasons

Best Regards
Shaoxiang

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Collision detection is not sensitive enough

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

try to isolate your questions to that it is easier to understand and reproduce what you are trying to achieve. E.g. when you talk about collision detection between the hand and the object: try to erase everything in the scene except the two objects that do not detect collision (but that are supposed to). Then you will be able to check what is going on much quicker. Just a few questions, for your second question:
  • are you trying to detect collision between two objects, or are you trying to have to objects react to collision?
  • are both objects collidable?
  • how do you check for collision?
About your first question: you are trying to avoid that the human's hand enters a certain area, via dynamic collision response. So is your human static or dynamic? Your mobile platform + human on top should be dynamic, not static (because two static objects won't react to collision). Make sure to carefully read this page for more details.

Cheers