Embedded System: Collision detection?

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Prometheus87

Embedded System: Collision detection?

Post by Prometheus87 »

Hello everyone,

I am currently browsing through several robot libaries because of my masterthesis and v-rep looks very nice, but...

the final goal is that the kinematic (forward and inverse) calculations and also the collision avoidance run on an embedded system.
(not via remote api because the reliability needs to be as high as possible)

The demo video of v-rep indicated that it is possible to run the forward&inverse kinematics solver on an embedded system(linux). Did I understand this correctly? What other components can be exported to an embedded system?

thanks in advance for your time!

Eric

Re: Embedded System: Collision detection?

Post by Eric »

Hi!

In the external kinematics doc, it is said that you can "perform the same kinematic calculations as you are able to do from within V-REP. Exception to this is the obstacle avoidance functionality which is only supported from within V-REP". So there won t be any collision avoidance feature if you go that direction.
Although, if you don't want to use the remote API, and if you are able to compile or install V-REP in your embedded linux system, I guess that you can still make a plugin to communicate with your manipulator, and use V-REP running the collision avoidance. Maybe with this solution you won't need to have the displaying of the simulation (Model browser->other-> fast simulation Mode), but I m not sure about that.

Cheers

Eric

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

that is correct. You can embed the kinematics functionality, and use it in a similar way as in V-REP (except for the avoidance part). A future version of V-REP should also allow to embed the collision detection / distance calculation functionality.

Cheers

Prometheus87

Post by Prometheus87 »

Hey,

thanks for the replies!

@Eric:
[...] install V-REP in your embedded linux system, [...]
Well. I will ask someone with more knowledge about embedded systems if this is possible. But i doubt it. I was thinking of using ODE or FCL for the collision detection. But still I don't like it...

@coppelia:
How certain is it, that "a future version" will also allow collision detection on embedded systems? Is this just a goal for the far future or really work in progress?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

It is a goal for the next 6-8 months. The code is already available (the mesh calculation plugin code), but the idea is to have a very skinny V-REP, that can be embedded. This is already the case with the external IK (which is basically a skinny V-REP version).

Cheers