Coppelia crashes when using Vortex

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
sumi_boss

Coppelia crashes when using Vortex

Post by sumi_boss »

Hello,

I'm running a Coppelia simulation from Matlab Remote API and I selected the Vortex physics engine. However, as soon as the simulation starts the whole CoppeliaSim program crashes. I read on the Dynamics module page that I should register on CM labs for a free license key which I did, but I didn't receive it.
Could you give me an idea as to what to do next and how to activate Vortex in Coppelia?
Thanks in advance!

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Coppelia crashes when using Vortex

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

you will have to ask again with CM Lab people for a key. Academic licenses are free. But your scene should still not crash without a license key. What version of CoppeliaSim are you running, and on which platform? Can you share a minimalistic and self-contained scene that illustrates the crash?

Cheers

sumi_boss

Post by sumi_boss »

Hello,

I have a Coppelia Sim Edu v4.1.0 and it's running on 64-bit Windows 7 Professional. I also use the 64-bit Matlab R2019a version to communicate with Coppelia. I am attaching a Dropbox link with the scene that I use, remoteApiTest.ttt. The rest of the files are Matlab and Simulink models and functions. I have the UR5 trajectory planned and an external admittance control loop modeled in Matlab/Simulink and I'm sending joint target positions to Coppelia and trying to obtain current positions and force sensor readings back from Coppelia to Matlab. In Coppelia I have slightly changed the joint callback functions so that I have custom PD control.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p9chv5vjqn1z ... qNj9a?dl=0

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

this setup is almost impossible for us to inspect, or way too time intensive. Try to have a single scene that illustrates the crash, without external dependencies.

Cheers

sumi_boss

Post by sumi_boss »

Vortex doesn't work in any case. I ran it without any external dependencies and the same thing happened. After that, I tried running it with the existing UR5 model, with your other existing examples, even in empty scenes and it crashes every time. As soon as I select Vortex and start the simulation the whole program crashes.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Strange. So CoppeliaSim loads normally (including the Vortex plugin), but as soon as you start a simulation using the Vortex plugin, even with an empty scene, it will crash?
Did it already crash before installing the Vortex key?
What is the crash message?

Cheers

sumi_boss

Post by sumi_boss »

Hello,

Yes, Coppelia loads normally and so does the Vortex plugin. I checked the console window and it says plugin ''DynamicsVortex': load succeeded. The program and the simulation work fine until I select the Vortex engine and start the simulation after which Coppelia crashes, even in empty scenes. However, I still did not get the key from CM Labs, but as you said, it should work anyway. I will try getting the key from CM Labs and then see what happens. I don't know what you mean by crash message. When I start Coppelia again after crashing it does show a dialog box that says:

It seems that CoppeliaSim crashed in last session (or you might be running several instances of CoppeliaSim in parallel). Would you like to try to recover auto-saved scenes? (see also CoppeliaSim's installation folder for backuped scenes).

But I don't run several instances of CoppeliaSim in parallel.
I would appreciate any advice as to how to fix the bug with Vortex.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

I unfortunately cannot reproduce the crash. Does it also happen on another machine? Maybe the problem is linked to Windows 7?

Cheers

sumi_boss

Post by sumi_boss »

Hi,

Yes, I think that has something to do with it. I will try it on another machine with Windows 10.

Thanks!