Find LBR iiwa 7 R800 workspace limits in Coppeliasim

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
pranavp

Find LBR iiwa 7 R800 workspace limits in Coppeliasim

Post by pranavp »

I have the datasheet, there is an image of the workspace in the datasheet, I want to calculate the same workspace limits but from the perspective of Coppeliasim's environment. It is just the calculation of transforming a point from the robot's reference frame to the environment's reference frame, could someone please guide me in the right direction?

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Find LBR iiwa 7 R800 workspace limits in Coppeliasim

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

have a look and get inspiration from the demo scene scenes/workspace.ttt, it is very much going in the same direction, and even using the same robot.

Cheers

Isdinval

Post by Isdinval »

Hi guys,

I'm also interested in the subject.
I used this scene "scenes/workspace.ttt", add an effector and some additional obstacles (big cuboids, floor detected as an obstacle) to get the envelope of the manipulator.

The configurations generated are ok. They respect the criteria "no collision" however the construction of the ConvexHull doesn't take care of the obstacles. In areas with few points (near obstacle), large sections are created, passing through the cuboids.

Any easy way to make the ConvexHull form to take care of the cuboids?

Thanks in advance,

pranavp

Post by pranavp »

Hi,
if I'm understood it right, the points are the ones achievable by the robot's tip, I wanted limitation of x,y,z in the perspective of the environment, not the robot. So I can give them in another python code.

Thanks and Regards

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Ok, so both of you want to generate a 3D surface that represents the boundary of where the robot's end-effector can move to? This actually represents a complex volume (depending on the obstacles) and is not trivial to generate. The example scene I mentioned only generates a convex surface based on the reachable points in 3D space. Some things to explore:
  • generate a large number of configurations and test them for collision. Those that do not collide are stored, together with the position of the end-effector (poses in 3D space)
  • check for connectivity between adjacent poses in 3D space. You'd have to use inverse kinematics to check if you can drive in an easy and short path from configuration/pose A to configuration/node B
  • you'd have to find a metric to identify poses that represent a boundary. You'll also have to identify the direction of the boundary
  • from points in 3D space you can generate a surface via the surface reconstruction plugin. For a simple example how to use this, have a look at the demo scene scenes/navigationWithinAPointCloud.ttt
Cheers