Matlab receives empty values from Coppelia using simxGetStringSignal

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
elizakh

Matlab receives empty values from Coppelia using simxGetStringSignal

Post by elizakh »

Hi everyone,

I've a trouble sending data from Coppelia to Matlab. So I've this code in Coppelia:

Code: Select all

time=sim.getSimulationTime()
if time==10 then
position=sim.getObjectPosition(ball,-1)
pos_Y=position[2]
print("pos_Y",pos_Y)
sim.setStringSignal("posicion",pos_Y)
And in Matlab I've:

[returnCode1,ball]=sim.simxGetStringSignal(clientID,'pos_Y',sim.simx_opmode_streaming);
But when I run the simulation, the variable ball doesn't receive the value of pos_Y, it receives an empty value so : ball=[]
I tried to change sim.simx_opmode_streaming to sim.simx_opmode_buffer but It stills the same.

For the other side, when my robot throws a ball in Coppelia, (I've changed the angular and linear damping of the ball because the ball was moving infinitely) and now the ball stops(but I noticed that the ball continues increasing his position for example: it stops in axis X at 1.250000 but I notice that it stills increasing to 1.250001) and for that the simulation never stops and I don't know how can I fix it.

And finally, I want to know if there is any way for Coppelia to do the same simulation a number 'n' of time. So for example, when the robot performs the process of throwing the ball, the simulation restarts itself and redoes the entire action again during, for example, 30 times or the times that my script in MATLAB wants.

Sorry for my english mistakes!

Thanks in advance

Cheers:)

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Matlab receives empty values from Coppelia using simxGetStringSignal

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

please first read about how to correctly use the streaming mode with the legacy remote API, since following will of course not work:

[returnCode1,ball]=sim.simxGetStringSignal(clientID,'pos_Y',sim.simx_opmode_streaming);
Cheers

elizakh

Post by elizakh »

Thank you for the post,
So I understand now how it works. But, it's normal that the process of receiving the data from Coppelia to MATLAB takes aproximately 30 seconds? I know that it takes time to receive the values, but I think it's a little slow.

Is there a way to do it a little bit faster?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

That is very very slow and not normal. It is important that you try to identify where the slow-down comes from. It is certainly not coming from the communication with CoppeliaSim, so there must be something else.

Maybe you are doing some lengthly calculations and can't get past 1 simulation step each 30 seconds?

Cheers