Vrep collada file to moveit

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
seok

Vrep collada file to moveit

Post by seok »

Hi. I'm currently using Vrep and I made my own module to simulate some planning stuffs.
The problem is that Vrep can only export module as Collada file as I know but I can't load it on moveit. Whenever I try to load the model the error message says "URDF/Collada file is not a valid robot model" and terminal says
"[ERROR] [1619524135.390796146]: No URDF parser plugin found for Collada files. Did you install the corresponding package?"
So I looked for the package but it does not support melodic version and didn't even work with kinetic.

The question is

Is it impossible to export model from vrep and load on moveit?

If someone knows about this or has same experiences leave comments plz.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Vrep collada file to moveit

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

Collada format can contain many many things, and CoppeliaSim exports to collada via the Assimp plugin, which only exports mesh data (no hierarchy, etc.). So not sure what kind of data moveit expects, but my guess is that it would be easiest to write a quick exporter as a CoppeliaSim add-on by parsing the model and generating the required infos.

Cheers

fferri

Post by fferri »

seok wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 12:53 The problem is that Vrep can only export module as Collada file as I know but I can't load it on moveit.
Are you sure a Collada is a valid robot model for MoveIt?

I have no experience with MoveIt in particular, but I think it needs a URDF model or something like that..

seok

Post by seok »

Yea that's the problem. I think collada file should include urdf form to be loaded on moveit. That's why I'm looking for methods to export urdf from vrep

seok

Post by seok »

coppelia wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 16:12 Hello,

Collada format can contain many many things, and CoppeliaSim exports to collada via the Assimp plugin, which only exports mesh data (no hierarchy, etc.). So not sure what kind of data moveit expects, but my guess is that it would be easiest to write a quick exporter as a CoppeliaSim add-on by parsing the model and generating the required infos.

Cheers
How can I use the urdf exporter from vrep? I couldn't find any.

fferri

Post by fferri »

CoppeliaSim has an URDF importer and an SDF importer, but no exporters.

You'll have to write your own exporter add-on.

The simAddOnMinimalistic exporter.lua add-on might be a good starting point, and here is a tutorial on the URDF format.

seok

Post by seok »

Eventually I spent whole day writing urdf file :(