question about model parts' size/position changing

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
lwang87

question about model parts' size/position changing

Post by lwang87 »

Hello,
I want to change some parts of a model(e.g. the size of the wheel of a car or the position of the wheel(inside the car body)), but when I did so, the car can't move like before. Is there any parameter I should've adjusted? Please help me solve this problem, I want the model move as usual after its pats were changed. Appreciate!

Muneeb

Re: question about model parts' size/position changing

Post by Muneeb »

Which command are you using to move your robot (sim.setJointTargetVelocity or sim.setJointTargetPosition). If you are using sim.setJointTargetVelocity it takes angular velocity as an input.. It means wheels will travel different distance by changing the radius of it.

lwang87

Post by lwang87 »

Muneeb wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 10:24 Which command are you using to move your robot (sim.setJointTargetVelocity or sim.setJointTargetPosition). If you are using sim.setJointTargetVelocity it takes angular velocity as an input.. It means wheels will travel different distance by changing the radius of it.
I didn't use command. I just changed the wheels' size by double click the target, and click the "view/modify geometry", then change the x(m), y(m), z(m) of the target.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

my best guess is that you are only changing the visible part of the wheel (oftentimes, a simplified and hidden shape is used for the dynamic aspect). Make sur you inspect the scene hierarchy. If this is the case, make sure to also modify the hidden shape. You can quickly inspect hidden layers by toggling them in the layer dialog.

Alternatively, you can send us the scene and we'll check why the modified model doesn't work.

Cheers

lwang87

Post by lwang87 »

coppelia wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 15:07 Hello,

my best guess is that you are only changing the visible part of the wheel (oftentimes, a simplified and hidden shape is used for the dynamic aspect). Make sur you inspect the scene hierarchy. If this is the case, make sure to also modify the hidden shape. You can quickly inspect hidden layers by toggling them in the layer dialog.

Alternatively, you can send us the scene and we'll check why the modified model doesn't work.

Cheers
https://github.com/aFighting-boy/V-REP Thank you! Here is my scene. And it has two model. one is normal car, whose wheels is big. Another is the changed model, and its wheels is small.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Please adjust the mass and/or inertia of your dynamically enabled wheels (not the visual wheels). This behaviour is directly related to the design considerations for dynamic models, point 7-8.

Cheers

lwang87

Post by lwang87 »

coppelia wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 10:56 Please adjust the mass and/or inertia of your dynamically enabled wheels (not the visual wheels). This behaviour is directly related to the design considerations for dynamic models, point 7-8.

Cheers
Thank you so much! It helps!