Simulate Wind Affecting Quadcopter/Quadricopter

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
salogranada

Simulate Wind Affecting Quadcopter/Quadricopter

Post by salogranada »

Hello
Im trying to simulate the Quadcopter in a Wind Environment. In other posts I've read that with particles I can achive that effect, but Im still with no results.

I understand particles need to be associated with an object. So I build up some walls and with sim.addParticleObject I've been trying to get particles in the scene.

Am I having a good approach? Or is there an easier way to do it? And if someone please can explain a little further in how does sim.addParticleObject and sim.addParticleObjectItem work, and how can I give the particles a dirrection to follow?

Thanks.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Simulate Wind Affecting Quadcopter/Quadricopter

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

if you want to simulate wind or water, then best is to apply auxiliary forces to your various dynamic bodies. You can do this by adding such a force in each simulation step, for each of your exposed, dynamically enabled shapes, with sim.addfroceAndTorque. This is much more efficient that using individual particles, which is slow, and will not produce a smooth behaviour.

Have a look at the demo model models/robots/mobile/ACM-R5.ttm: instead of wind, water is simulated, and each robot element will receive two additional force vectors, one to compensate for buoyancy, the other to produce an effect of radial drag.

Cheers