Better rendering

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
kamtah

Better rendering

Post by kamtah »

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to have better graphics for the simulation rendering.
Are there any add-ons to do this?

Best,

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Better rendering

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

if you use a vision sensor for your renderings, you can select a different renderer, e.g. the openGL3 renderer, or the Pov-Ray renderer (you'll have to download the binary from there. Also, ray-tracing will be much much slower than openGl rendering). You can select the renderer via Render mode in the vision sensor dialog. You can also create your own external renderer.

The other possibility is to export a 3D animation via GLTF, and have that rendered via various apps/browsers.

Additionally, you can stream mesh, position/orientation data to an external renderer via a simple add-on (making use of ZeroMQ or Websockets), and have things renderer via a webbrowser, e.g. three.js. This will be available in CoppeliaSim V4.3.0. Depending on your platform, etc., you may ask us for a link to an early beta to that version in 1-2 weeks of time.

Cheers

kamtah

Post by kamtah »

Hello, thank you for your answer.

Rendering via three.js looks very promising! I'll look into it.
I'm just not sure what you're talking about when you say "This will be available"? Are you talking about the API with ZMQ or some other way of communication?
In any case, I would like a link to the beta when it is available.

cheers

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

We'll try to make a very early beta available for next week. To get an idea what and how this will work.

Cheers

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Took a bit longer than expected. You can access an early beta from here. Start CoppeliaSim, select [Menu bar --> Modules --> Connectivity --> Visualization stream]. Then, in your local browser, type:

Code: Select all

localhost:23020
This should reproduce the 3D content in the browser.

Keep in mind that this is an early version, where all messages are polled and handled from within a single add-on (simAddonVisualization stream.lua). This makes things quite slow, but you have a lot of flexibility and can modify things easily.
We are however working at a version where all messages are generated as events from CoppeliaSim directly, also adding other visual items next to shapes.

The three.js client is currently quite simple, but it is relatively simple to improve visuals via shadows, etc.

Cheers

xibeisiber

Post by xibeisiber »

We are however working at a version where all messages are generated as events from CoppeliaSim directly, also adding other visual items next to shapes.
Hi, is any progress on this?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

In recent CoppeliaSim versions, that functionality has been much improved, also speed-wise.

Cheers