Bill collision avoidance

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
Leizah

Bill collision avoidance

Post by Leizah »

Hi

I'm using a Bill on Path model provided with a threated script. Unfortunately, it does not evaluates the presence of other models (which are all detectable) and then Bill just "walks through" the objects.
I would like to make the model to detect when he's about to colliding with specific objects and then to evaluate a new path.
I saw that the Bill planning path model does something similiar, I saw that he uses the OMPL function in a non-threated script and that he seems to be not very stable (I placed the model "as it is" into my scene and he just turns around and does not reaches the goal dummy)

How could I achieve this result?

Cheers

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Bill collision avoidance

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

you will first decide how to detect an obstacle: you can either do collision detection, minimum distance calculation, or check for obstacles via a proximity sensor (or possibly via a vision sensor, but then the task becomes quite difficult (i.e. image processing will be needed)).

Then, I'd do everything in a threaded child script. But make sure to constantly check for obstacles. If one is detected, cancel current movement, then plan the next movement. Planning is the more difficult part, since you will need to find a way around the obstacle. Path planning is your friend in that case.

Cheers