Force sensor problem

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
dzic_HQU

Force sensor problem

Post by dzic_HQU »

Hello coppelia,
What is sample size of force sensor? When I set it to 1, what is the time interval between the two force data? If I want to set the sampling interval of the force sensor to 10ms, what should the sample size be set to?

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Force sensor problem

Post by coppelia »

The sample size typically represents the number of simulation steps. One simulation step is by default 50ms. If your simulation step is set to 10ms, and sample size is 1, then you'll get a non-averaged value in each simulation step (however you will still get an average value over the n dynamics sub-steps, see next paragraph).

If your simulation step is 50ms, and you desire a more frequent reading of the force sensor, i.e. a raw value from the physics engine (which by default runs at 5 ms sub-step), then you can use a dynamics callback function. Have a look at this example:

Code: Select all

function sysCall_init()
    h=sim.getObject('.')
end

function sysCall_sensing()
    local t=sim.getSimulationTime()+sim.getSimulationTimeStep()
    local r,force,torque=sim.readForceSensor(h)
    if r>0 then
        print(string.format("averaged force value (over sample size) at time %.3f",t),force)
    end
end

function sysCall_dynCallback(inData)
    if inData.afterStep then
        local t=sim.getSimulationTime()
        local r,force,torque=sim.readForceSensor(h|sim.handleflag_rawvalue)
        if r>0 then
            print(string.format("raw value in dynamics callback at time %.3f",t+inData.passCnt*inData.dynStepSize),force)
        end
    end
end
Cheers