Vortex simulation of the cable

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
levasmol

Vortex simulation of the cable

Post by levasmol »

Hello!

Im using Vortex with CoppeliaSim to simulate my scene: https://filesender.renater.fr/?s=downlo ... fc4cf8fbe

With Newton cable behaves good. And the same setup with Vortex looks like on this screenshot:Image

Have you any idea why is it so? Also I followed the dynamical simulations advises from coppelia
Thank you in advance for your help

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Vortex simulation of the cable

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

I am not sure I understand why you created such a complicated cable construction with loop closure constraints...
Why not simply doing:

Code: Select all

cylinder --> revoluteJoint --> sphere --> revoluteJoint --> cylinder --> revoluteJoint --> etc.
You'll have to make sure of course that adjacent shapes have local respondable masks that do not collide.

Have also a look at the demo scene in scenes/otherScenes/ropeTest.ttt

Cheers

levasmol

Post by levasmol »

Hello, thanks for the example. But your example behaves much less realistic then mine. In spherical joint i cant use mass dumper spring control which is mandatory in order to simulate a realistic cable (which has a mass, extensible and bendable with some effort). May be you have some more examples of cables with mass dumper spring mode?

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

You actually have many different ways you can create a cable or cable-like model. My point was more about: why do you use so many dummy-dummy overlap constraints for your cable, and not simply a single chain of objects (shapes and joints)?

Cheers