Simulation performance decrease over time

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
PvtSchneewitchen

Simulation performance decrease over time

Post by PvtSchneewitchen »

Hi,

my problem refers to picking objects out of a box. You can see the process in this video:
https://youtu.be/yTD8tAs-2OQ

As you can see in the video one object after another gets picked out of the box. This process gets slower and slower over time despite the fact that there are less and less objects in the scene because i delete every object i picked out of the box.
In the video you can see a table printed in the log box after each pick. This Table contains the apprach time of the gripper to the object, the depart time out of the box and the number of respondable or dynamic objects in the scene for each pick.
As you can see thethe approach time increases and the depart time increases heavily over the time unless there are less and less objects.

Before departing the bin i set up to 10 objects around the picked object dynamic. But the amount of dynamic objects is limited so the performance decrease should not happen because of the amount of dynamic objects. For the last object for example it takes sometimes over a minute to pick it out of the box unless there is just one dynamic object.

Do you have any idea where this performance drop could come from? Are there possibilities to monitor some things that could indicate the problem?

Cheers,
Patrick

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Simulation performance decrease over time

Post by coppelia »

Hello Patrick,

from what I can see you have several types of calculations in the scene. The dynamics engine or the rendering is not the culprit, but the script execution time gets slower and slower. Not sure what kind of calculations you do in there, but try to locate exactly where the slowdow occurs (which script and what routine), via simple timing measurements, e.g. with sim.getSystemTime or sim.getSystemTimeInMs

Cheers