Resetting doesn't return model to it's pre-run state

Report crashes, strange behaviour, or apparent bugs
kubark42

Resetting doesn't return model to it's pre-run state

Post by kubark42 »

Observed behaviors: I'm finding that my models' (and their components') reset state slowly drifts in position and orientation. Sometimes this drift is quite remarkable, like a model that was stopped while turned on its side restarts in this crashed position. This is troublesome because my models start having tiny inconsistencies in their joints, and this means that the intended forces and the true forces don't add up.

Expected behavior: after every click of the stop button that the simulation is returned identically to its pre-run state.

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Resetting doesn't return model to it's pre-run state

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

this is indeed something that is not supposed to happen, at least when the item Reset scene to initial state in the simulation settings dialog was checked. When that item is checked, then most values should be automatically reset at simulation end (such as positions, orientations, parenting relationships, joint positions, etc.). Other less important values are not reset (such as colors, textures, etc.), but there the user should reset the values he/she changed (in the clean-up phase of a simulation script for instance).
Can you post your scene, or send us your scene so that we can check it out?

Cheers

kubark42

Post by kubark42 »

I was using a variant of https://github.com/simondlevy/PyQuadSim (make sure to follow the instructions at http://home.wlu.edu/~levys/software/pyquadsim/ for changing the home folder in the *.lua script). I'll see if I can find a situation where the error is reproducible. I want to say that it occurs most frequently after hitting pause and then stop, without hitting play a second time.

The "Reset scene to initial state" has been untouched and verified to be checked, so unless it can toggle itself under certain circumstances I don't think a misconfiguration is the culprit.
Other less important values are not reset (such as colors, textures, etc.), but there the user should reset the values he/she changed (in the clean-up phase of a simulation script for instance).
Out of curiosity, why not save the scene in RAM and then return to the original scene? Not complaining, just wondering.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

you are right, this would be a solution. However, doing so, you would lose a lot of auxiliary data such as data recorded by graphs, custom data saved in objects, etc.

Cheers