Speeding up a deformable object model

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
cwong

Speeding up a deformable object model

Post by cwong »

Hello,

I am working on a project that involves simulating the grasping of composite material modelled as a deformable object.

Following the suggestions in this post, I have written some code to generate this model as a matrix of small cuboids connected by dummies, which are linked by dynamic overlapping constraints.

We are hoping to model large sheets of composite material but the problem is the model is rather computationally heavy and things slow down quite drastically very quickly. I am wondering if there are any ways we can try to optimize the model and reduce the computational burden?

I understand that reducing the resolution (make the cuboids bigger) can speed things up, but I am hoping to explore other options, if there are any, before going down this route.

An example .ttt can be found here. The size of this is 20 cm by 14 cm, and we would ideally like to be able to model up to say 1 m x 1 m sheets with the same resolution.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cuebong

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: Speeding up a deformable object model

Post by coppelia »

Hello Cuebong,

this is an interesting but also work-intensive approach to simulate cloth in V-REP ;) Or did you programatically generate the cloth in the first place?

Unfortunately, this is currently the only way to do what you want to achieve. Except to fiddle around with the various physics engines source code directly. You probably can speed-up the whole process a little bit by using primitive spheres instead of primitive cuboids. And reduce the face count to a maximum in order to also speed-up visualization. Or have the spheres only visible while simulation is running. But all this is very sub-optimal unfortunately.

Cheers

cwong

Re: Speeding up a deformable object model

Post by cwong »

Hello,

Thanks for your quick response. Yes everything was done programmatically, otherwise it would have been a pain just to make the model!

That is helpful to know.

Cheers,
Cuebong