GUI rendering on High res displays

Report crashes, strange behaviour, or apparent bugs
avneesh_m

GUI rendering on High res displays

Post by avneesh_m »

I have an HP Envy 15 (i7 10750H, RTX 2060, 3840x2160 display). I was initially facing the issue of small text sizes, I then changed the

Code: Select all

highResDisplay 
parameter to 1 in the file

C:\Program Files\CoppeliaRobotics\CoppeliaSimEdu\system\usrset.txt
This fixed the text size problem. However, there is another issue pertaining to GUI in dialogs which this did not fix. It is the rendering of items in dialogs.
For example, the Tools menu looks like this
Notice the checkboxes appear enlarged, and tick marks don't appear right. Upon opening the User Settings, I get this
Notice the menu items appear misaligned, checkboxes do not appear in whole, etc.
The same issue happens even in the dialogs for scene object properties.
Can somebody kindly suggest a fix?

I use Windows 10 (OS Build: 19041.572). I'm a beginner to CoppeliaSim. All the graphics settings are factory default.

Thank you in advance

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: GUI rendering on High res displays

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

can you try to instead adjust the parameter guiFontSize_Win in the same file?
Also make sure to use the last CoppeliaSim release, or check if this suggestion solves your problem.

Cheers

avneesh_m

Post by avneesh_m »

I tried changing the highResDisplay to -1 and then the guiFontSize_Win parameter to -1. I get the following results on doing so.
The dialogs were too small (and for some reason, I'm unable to resize them).
I then switched back the highResDisplay to 1 (with the guiFontSize_Win parameter as -1). I got the following results (both were nearly the same, but this window size was bigger)
On using a value less than 13 (the default value of guiFontSize_Win for Windows installations), I get the following
It appears that the checkboxes or the windows do not resize, but only the text does.
I also am unable to resize any dialog that I open (by double clicking an object in the scene for example), is this normal?

I am using CoppeliaSim 4.1.0 (Rev. 1) (Qt Version 5.15.0, MSVC2019)

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Well, now I am confused. So if you had left everything as default, it would look fine, but just ways too small, correct? (to go back to default, simply delete system/usrset.txt, and it should be generated again)

I would first try not to touch at all the highResDisplay, or explicitely turn it off. And try with the other parameter. In that case the checkbox should correctly scale, no?

And the dialogs cannot be resized, that's by design ;)

Cheers

avneesh_m

Post by avneesh_m »

With the file C:\Program Files\CoppeliaRobotics\CoppeliaSimEdu\system\usrset.txt reset to its default settings, the problem still persists.

I deleted the file and restarted CoppeliaSim, here's what I got

The checkboxes and text still appear misaligned and scaled out of proportions. The only additional problem now is that the text size appears small. Here's how the entire window looks like (default configurations)

Notice the small text size. This might be because my display resolution is 3840x2160. There are no problems in functionality, however. But the GUI dialogs do not appear correct (sometimes, some long menu items are not legible and are obscured). Take this for example

The labels after the checkboxes appear concealed. I was looking for a way to fix this problem.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Starting with CoppeliaSim release V4.2.0, you can set highResDisplay=2 in system/usrset.txt, and it should look fine.

For previous versions of CoppeliaSim, do:
  • Right-click the coppeliaSim icon, then properties
  • In the Compatibility tab, click Change high DPI settings
  • Check Override high DPI scaling behaviour.
  • Then select scaling performed by: System
Then make sure you have default values in your usrset.txt file. Simplest would be to erase that file for that purpose.

you should get a correct view, in lower resolution (for the text and icons). Let me know if that works.
We are working on a new GUI which should eventually replace the current one.

Cheers

avneesh_m

Post by avneesh_m »

Yes, the solution that you suggested appears to have worked. The icons and checkboxes are now in the correct places. The resolution appears to be lowered, but I can work with that.

Thanks a lot for the solution. It appears to have solved my problem.

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Starting with CoppeliaSim release V4.2.0, you can set highResDisplay=2 in system/usrset.txt, and it should look fine (better than above).

Cheers

Juancho

Post by Juancho »

coppelia wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 10:31 Starting with CoppeliaSim release V4.2.0, you can set highResDisplay=2 in system/usrset.txt, and it should look fine (better than above).

Cheers
Dear Coppelia Team,

I am using CoppeliaSim 4.4 on Windows 11. I'm trying to set the highResDisplay configuration in system/usrset.txt. However, that file is missing. How can I set that parameter on CoppeliaSim 4.4?
[img][https://ibb.co/w4Z6SGN]

Cheers,

Juan

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Hello Juan,

Since CoppeliaSim V4.4, the usrset.txt file is not located in <installDir>/system/ andymore. Type following into the statusbar, to get an idea where the settings file is located:

> sim.getStringParam(sim.stringparam_usersettingsdir)
Cheers